Francesca Cotrufo, PhD
Dept. Soil and Crop Sciences tel: (970) 4916056
Colorado State University fax: (970) 4911965
Fort Collins, CO, USA
1991 Laurea in Biology, University of Naples, Italy (110/110 + laude)
1995 Ph.D. Soil Ecology, Lancaster University/Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, UK
2008- date Full Professor, Dept. of Soil and Crop Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA
2008-date Senior Scientist, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University
2006-2008 Full Professor, Dept. Environmental Sciences, Second University of Naples, Italy
2000-2006 Assoc. Professor, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Second University of Naples
1994-2000 Research Scientist, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Second University of Naples
2016 Quantification of pyrogenic carbon in the EU LUCAS soil samples, European Commission (PI: ϵ 14,592).
2016: Study of the effects of engineered biocarbon and microbial amendments on maize production under full and limited irrigation (PI: $ 19,880).
2015-2018: Measurement and Modeling of Soil C Storage and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from
Southern Pine Biofuel Feedstocks, Shell (co-PI: $620,955)
2015-2017: Toward a reduction in the environmental impacts of energy production from slash pine: Understanding potential for soil C sequestration and mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions, CSU-Shell (PI, $160,000)
2014-2015: US-Switzerland-Australia Site Visits: Expanding and Advancing Black Carbon Research through new International Collaborations, NSF-CNIC (PI, $50,000).
2014-2019: Biofuel Feedstocks from Beetle-Killed Wood: Bioenergy Alliance Network of the Rockies (BANR), USDA-NIFA (Co-PI; $9,850,000)
2014-2015: Developing scholarly excellence across the aquatic-terrestrial interface: Understanding the hydro-bio-geo-chemistry of extreme events, CSU Water Center (Co-PI; $24,982).
2013-2016: Understanding litter input controls on soil organic matter turnover and formation are essential for improving carbon-climate feedback predictions for Arctic, tundra ecosystems, DOE (co_PI; $898,997)
2013-2015: “Critical need for continued growth & expansion of the EcoCore Analytical Facility”. CSU VPR (Co-PI; $66,368).
2013-2016: Decision Support Tools, Drought Tolerance, and Innovative Soil and Water Management Strategies to Adapt Semi-arid Irrigated Cropping Systems to Drough, USDA-CIG (CSU-PI; $880,000)
2012-2013: “Full accounting of pyrogenic-C dynamics at the watershed scale: a unique opportunity offered by the High Park Fire”, NSF (PI; $197,000)
2012-2013: Research Experience for Undergraduate, NSF (PI; $7,500).
2012-2013: Research Experience for Teachers, NSF (PI; $15,000).
2011-2014: “Soils, Land Use and Climate Change: a new Baccalaureate concentration”. USDA-NIFA-HEC (PI, $174,617).
2011-2013: “EcoCore: Rebranding and Refurbishing the Natural Resource Ecology Analytical
Laboratory to Address an Evolving Mission”. CSU VPR (Co-PI; $179,102).
2011-2012: “Biochar for the Colorado agricultural industry: a research assessment of energy, economic and environmental benefits. 2011 Advancing Colorado’s Renewable Energy Grant Program, Colorado Department of Agriculture (PI; $49,909).
2011-2012: Research Experience for Undergraduate, NSF (PI; $7,500).
2011-2012: Research Experience for Teachers, NSF (PI; $15,000).
2010-2011: “Women, Population and the Environment” – Global Challenge Research Team, School for the Global Environment and Sustainability, Colorado State University (PI; $14,600).
2010-2011: “Biochar: an assessment of potential energy, environmental and economic benefits”. CSU – Green Energy Supercluster internal seed grant (PI; $20,000).
2010-2011: Research Experience for Teachers, NSF (PI; $15,000).
2009-2113: “A novel experimental and modeling study of C and N dynamics between litter, soil and the atmosphere as affected by soil fauna and litter quality” (Bluestem) NSF (PI; $798,491).
2010-2011: “Summer Soil Institute: Addressing Environmental Changes and Emerging Techniques from Microbial to Global Scales”. USDA CSREES AFRI (Co-PI; $149,859)
2009-2010: “Salt Cedar and Russian Olive Demonstration Act (HR2720) Science Assessment and Ongoing Invasive Species-related Research Projects” (Tamarisk). Forest Service USDA (PI; $123,500)
2008-2010 “Impatto della conversione di agroecosistemi da seat-aside a coltivazione per biocarburanti sul carbonio organico del suolo e sulle emissioni di gas ad effetto serra”. PRIN-MIUR (CoPI; € 42,000).
2006-2011: NITROEUROPE IP, European Community VII Framework program, www.nitroeurope.eu (Steering Committee Member, Activity Leader, PI; € 247,000)
2006-2009: CARBOITALY, FISR Italian Ministry of University and Research -MIUR (Unit coordinator, PI; € 520,100)
2007: “Carbon isotope tracing in forest ecosystems”. Galileo 2007 Italy-France exchange program (Responsible for the Italian team; € 8,500).
2005-2007: “Advanced laser techniques to investigate carbon isotope discrimination during decomposition”, ToK Marie Curie Project, European Community VII Framework (Coordinator; €107,882).
2004-2009: CARBOEUROPE IP, European Community VII Framework program, www.carboeurope.org (Internal Advisory Board Member, PI; € 70,000)
2004-2006: “Conventional and accelerator mass spectrometry in archaeometry and environmental sciences”, Italian Ministry of University and Research, MIUR_PRIN (Co_PI; €30,000)
2003-2006: “An integrated European scientific infrastructure for global change studies on forest and agroforest ecosystems utilizing FACE Technology- EUROFACE”, European Community VI Framework program, www.unitus.it/euroface/ (Coordinator of the Work Package 8: Determinants of C losses and decomposition, PI; €72,000).
2003-2006: “Mediterranean ecosystems under increasing drought- MIND”, European Community VI Framework program, (Coordinator of the Work Package 3: Soil C fluxes, Co_PI; €70,000).
2003-2006: “Novel physics methodology in ecological research”- International PhD course program, MIUR (Coordinator; € 57,000).
2003-2005: “Implementation and use of an innovative isotope methodology for the quantification of C fluxes and stores in soils”. Project funded by the Assessorato alla Ricerca Scientifica della Regione Campania, Legge 5 (Coordinator; €38,700).
2002-2004: “Development and application of isotopic methodologies in environmental research – DAIMER”, ToK Marie Curie Project, European Community V Framework (Co_PI; €50,000).
2001-2006: “Carbon Storage in European Grasslands”, European Community COST Action 627 (Coordinator of WP1: “Plant, soil and soil organisms”, Italian Delegate).
2001-2004: “Development and application of isotopic methodologies to environmental science research”- International PhD course program, MIUR (Coordinator, €38,218)
2000-2003: “Forest carbon-nitrogen trajectories: FORCAST”, European Community V Framework (PI; €136,070).
2000-2008: PIANOSALAB project (LTER and Fluxnet Italian site), National Research Council (Steering committee member, PI).
1998-2001: “A FACE experiment on a short rotation poplar plantation – POPFACE”, European Community IV Framework (Investigator)
1996-1999: “Carbon and Nitrogen interactions in Forest ecosystems – CANIF”, European Community IV Framework (Investigator)
1995-1998: SAVAFLUX, European Community IV Framework (Co-PI)
1994-1997: MEGARICH, European Community IV Framework (Investigator)
Research Fellowships and International Collaborations
2015: OECD Research Fellow and visiting scientist at the Joint Research Center of the European Union.
2012 to date: Research Collaboration with Prof. Peter Grace, Brisbane University Australia, on the CFF project.
2009 to date: Research Collaboration with Profs. Ivan Jansen and Reinhart Ceulemans, University of Anterwerpen (Belgium) on the inpair-P project and other projects.
2008 to date: Research collaboration with Dr. Sebastien Fontaine, INRA (Clermont-Ferrand, France) on a research project for the study of priming effects in different soil organic matter fractions of world soils.
2008: Research collaboration with Dr. Jerome Ngao, INRA (Clermont-Ferrand, France) on a research project for the study of isotopic discrimination and litter chemistry changes during litter decomposition.
2005: Short term Research visit at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and at the University of Duke to conduct a dendroecology study at the forest FACE facilities.
2004 and 2005: Short term Research visits at the Dept. of Biology University of Illinois, Urbana, upon invitation of Prof. Steve Long, to advise on soil studies conducted at the SoyFACE.
2000: Short term Research visit at the Dept. of Biology, University of San Diego, upon invitation of Prof. Walter Oechel, to conduct soil study at the Open Top Chamber facility of Sky Oak, CA.
1998: Smithsonian Institution Research fellowship for a three months research visit at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Centre. During this period, field work was conducted at the FACE facilities at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, at Duke University and at the Smithsonian field station at the Kennedy Space Centre, NASA. Isotope analyses were performed at the Isotope Laboratory, Utah University.
1996: EU COST Action 619 Research Fellowship for a one moth research visit at AB-DLO, Wageningen, NL
1995: European Environmental Research Organization Research Fellowship for a three months research visit at AB-DLO, Wageningen, NL.
1994-95: British Council Research Fellowship to conduct research at ITE Merlewood, UK.
Teaching and Education
Course leader (Colorado State University, Dept. of Soil and Crop Sciences)
Graduate course: “Terrestrial Ecosystems Isotope Ecology”, SOCR670 – spring semester odd years
Undergraduate course: “Soil and Global Change: Science and Impacts”, SOCR400 – fall semester
Graduate Course: “Soil and Global Change Science and Impacts”, SOCR500 – fall semester (proposed)
On-line course: “Soil and Global Change: Science and Impacts”, SOCR400 (in development)
Seminar: “Litter decomposition: re-considering paradigms and methods”, ECOL592- Fall 2011
Co-Instructor (Colorado State University, Dept. of Soil and Crop Sciences)
Undergraduate course: “Soil Ecology”, SOCR441 – spring semester
Instructor for the module on “Soil Organic Matter dynamics and stable isotopes” in the: Summer Soil Institute: Addressing Environmental Challenges with Current and Emerging Techniques from Microbial to Global Scales, http://soilinstitute.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html, CSU, every summer.
Course leader (Second University of Naples)
Undergraduate course: “Applied Ecology”, spring semester (every year), Dept. of Environmental Sciences.
II level degree course “Global Environmental Changes”, Fall semester (every year), Dept. of Environmental Sciences.
II level degree course “Conservation Biology”, Fall semester (every year), Dept. of Environmental Sciences.
Graduate course “Biogeochemical Cycles”, flexible (every other year), Dept. of Environmental Sciences.
Graduate series of seminars on “Technique of presentation of scientific results”, flexible (every other year), Dept. of Environmental Sciences.
2014: In the course: “Ecosystem Ecology”, NR 601, Colorado State University
2013 to date: In the course: “Bioenergy”, AGRI/ENGR 601, CSU
2012 to date: In the course: “SUPER: Skills for Undergraduate Participation in Ecological Research”, CSU
2011 to date: In the course: “Ecosystem Ecology”, RS 351, Colorado State University
2008 to date: In the course: “Soil-Plant-nutrient relationships”, Colorado State University
2010 to 2013: In the course: “Global Change Ecology, Impacts and Mitigation”, Colorado State University
2001: Course: “Global Change and Water Resources in the Mediterranean Region”, University of Castilla-La Mancha, Toledo (Spain), RICAMARE project course.
2011: “Energy Policies Toward a Better World–the U.S. and the EU.” For the course “Colorado Council for Economic Education” (CCEE), Denver, CO.
2005: “Environment and Environmental matrices” for the professional course on Tecnico Superiore Ambiente, Energia e Sicurezza (in azienda), P.O.R. Campania Region.
2000: “Ecology” for the High qualification course on Esperto del trasferimento di tecnologie per la tutela e valorizzazione dei beni Ambientali, Ministry of University and Research
1999- “Ecology” for a professional course on: Responsabile del sistema di gestione ambientale.
- Accademia dei Gergofili, Firenze (I)
- AB-DLO at Arhem and at Wageninghen (NL)
- of Biological Sciences dell’Università di Lancaster (UK)
- of Biology, University of Antwerp (NL)
- of Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana (USA)
- of Biology, University of Milan Bicocca (IT)
- of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City (USA)
- of Forest & Rangeland Stewardship, Colorado State University (USA)
- Dept. of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine (USA)
- Dept. of Soil Science and Biogeochemistry, University of Zurich (CH)
- of Soil & Crop Sciences, Colorado State University (USA)
- DISAFRI, University of Tuscia, Viterbo (IT)
- ETH, Zurich (CH)
- Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Bologna (IT)
- Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, NERC, Grange-o-Sands (UK)
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee (USA)
- NREL, Colorado State University (USA)
- Soil Science Unit, Technical University of Munich (D)
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Centre, Maryland, (USA)
Graduate student program
2003-06: International PhD course in “Novel Physics Methodologies for Ecological Research”. Financed by the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR), in collaboration with the University of Bochum (Germany), the University of York (UK), the University of Udine (Italy) and the International Center for Theoretic Physics, Trieste (Italy).
2001-04: International PhD course in “Isotope Methodologies for Environmental Science Research”. Financed by the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR), in collaboration with the University of Bochum (Germany), the University of York (UK), the University of Udine (Italy), CNR_IAS, Porano (Italy).
Graduate Student Advisor
2016-date: Bethany Avera (PhD), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2016-date: Samantha Moser (PhD), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2014-date: Matt Ramlow (PhD), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2014-date: Yamina Pressler (PhD), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2013-date: Sarah Fulton-Smith (PhD), Soil and Crop Sciences, Colorado State University
2013-date: Erica Foster (MS), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2011-2014: Andrew J. Horton, (MS), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2009-2014: Jennifer Soong (PhD), Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado State University
2006-2010 Andrea Veturi (PhD), Thesis: “Characterization of soil organic matter in the soil of European ecosystem under contrasting land uses, by means of physical and chemical fractionation procedures”. International Graduate Degree Program in “Novel physics methodology in ecological research”, Second University of Naples
2003-06 Daniela Piermatteo (PhD). Thesis: “Modeling C and N cycles in Mediterranean terrestrial ecosystems”, International Graduate Degree Program in “Novel physics methodology in ecological research”, Second University of Naples
2003-06 Fabio Marzaioli (PhD), Thesis:“Assessing soil organic matter dynamics by means of 14C bomb spike: a feasible tool to predict terrestrial ecosystem response to climate global changes”, International Graduate Degree Program in “Novel physics methodology in ecological research”, Second University of Naples (Co-Advisor)
2002-05 Ilaria Inglima (PhD), Thesis: “Soil respiration in Mediterranean Ecosystems”. Graduate Degree Program in “Implementation and application of isotopic methodology in environmental sciences research”, Second University of Naples
2002-05 Mauro Rubino (PhD), Thesis: “Stable C isotopes as a mean to trace C fluxes during litter decomposition”. Graduate Degree Program in “Implementation and application of isotopic methodology in environmental sciences research”, Second University of Naples (Co-Advisor)
2001-04 Ilaria Del Galdo (PhD), Thesis: “Soil organic carbon dynamics and global change: the effects of land use change and increased atmospheric CO2 concentration”, International Graduate Degree Program in “Implementation and application of isotopic methodology in environmental sciences research”, Second University of Naples
2001-04 Giovanna Battipaglia (PhD), Thesis: “ Relationship between width and C and O stable isotope in tree growth rings as proxies for the tree ecophysiology and climate change: 3 case studies in European forest from Swiss Alps to Mediterranean Basin”, International Graduate Degree Program in “Implementation and application of isotopic methodology in environmental sciences research”, Second University of Naples
1999-2002 Raffaele A. De Pascale (PhD), Thesis: “C and N dynamics in leaf litter decomposition across a transect of European forests”, Graduate Degree Program in “Ecology” Univ. of Naples
2015 to date Faculty of the CSU School of Global Environmental Sustainability (SoGES)
2014 to date Faculty of the CSU Water Center
2011-to 2014 Faculty of the NSF IGERT MAS BioEnergy Program
2010 to date Faculty and member of the organizing committee of the Summer Soil Institute
2008-to date Faculty of the Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, Colorado Sate University
2006 to 2008 Faculty of the International PhD course in Novel Physics Methodologies for Environmental Research, Second University of Naples, Italy
Graduate Student Committees
2015 External Examiner for Huda Alghanasi’s PhD dissertation, University Putra Malysia
2013-to-date Doctoral Committee Member for Laurel Linch , GDPE, CSU
2013-to-date Doctoral Committee Member for Phasita Toonsiri, Soil and Crop Sciences, CSU
2013-2014 Master Committee Member for Drew Bingham, GDPE, CSU
2013-to-date Doctoral Committee Member for Charlotte Alster , GDPE, CSU
2013 External Examiner for N. Singh’s PhD dissertation, University of Zurich
2012-to-date Doctoral Committee Member for Trung Nguyen, Soil and Crop Sciences, CSU
2012-2015 Doctoral Committee Member for Jennifer Rocca , GDPE, CSU
2012-2014 Doctoral Committee Member for Suzanne Brant , Dept. of Anthropology, CSU
2012-2013 Doctoral Committee Member for Carolyn Hoagland, Soil and Crop Sciences, CSU
2011-2015 Doctoral Committee Member for Nell Campbell, IGERT Biofuel & GDPE, CSU
2010- to date Doctoral Committee Member for Paul Brewer, Dept. of Biology, CSU
2010- 2015 Doctoral Committee Member for Jocelyn Lavallee, GDPE, CSU
2010- 2014 Doctoral Committee Member for Mohamed Abulobaida, Soil and Crop Sciences, CSU
2009- 2013 Doctoral Committee Member for Zachary Sylvain, Dept. of Biology, CSU
2010-2012 Master Committee Member for Ashley , Biology, CSU
2010- 2012 Master Committee Member for Brooke Osborne, GDPE, CSU
2009- 2011 Doctoral Committee Member for A. Biagi Harper , Dept. of Atmospheric Science, CSU
- External examiner for PhD dissertation, University of Viterbo, Italy
Post-doctoral and Research Scientist supervision
2012-2014: Dr. Claudia Boot. Project: BC-RAPID
2010-2011: Dr. Karolien Denef. Project: Bluestem
2009-2010: Dr. Catherine Stewart. Project: Tamarisk
2005-2008: Dr. Ilaria Del Galdo. Projects: Carboeurope/Nitroeurope
2006-2008: Dr. Ilaria Inglima. Project: Carboitaly
2006-2008: Dr. Jerome Ngao. Project: Alice
2006-2007: Dr. Mauro Rubino. Project: Campania Region Legge 5 (Co-supervisor)
2005-2007: Dr. Giovanna Battipaglia. Projects: EuroFACE/Nitroeurope
2002-2004: Dr. Jens Arne Subke. Project: Daimer
Faculty & University Services
2016: Search committee member, Dept. of Ecosystem Science and Sustainability, CSU
2015 to date: Chair of the Research Committee, and Research Advisor to the Head of the Dep. of Soil and Crop Science, CSU
2014: Search committee member, Dept. of Soil and Crop Science, CSU
2012 to date: Member of the Colorado State University Faculty Council
2012 to 2014: Member of the Executive Committee of the Graduate Degree Program in Ecology, CSU
2012 to date: Designated Representative for CSU on the International Memorandum of Understanding (IMOU) between the University of Vienna Bokum (Austria) and CSU.
2011 to date: Co-Director of Eco-Core, a CSU core facility.
2011 to date: Member of the Executive Committee of the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, CSU.
2011: Search committee member, EcoCore, Natural Resource Ecology lab, CSU
2010: Search committee member, Natural Resource Ecology lab, Colorado State University
2010 to date: Designated Representative for CSU on the International Memorandum of Understanding (IMOU) between the Second University of Naples (Italy) and CSU.
2009 to date: Director of the Stable Isotope Laboratory, Natural Resource Ecology lab, CSU
2009: Member (substitute) for the College of Agricultural Sciences of the Committee on Scholarship, Research and Graduate Education of Colorado State University
2004-2008: Chair of Departmental Committee and College delegate for the Committee for the Orientation of incoming, enrolled and outgoing students, Second University of Naples, I
2006-2008: Member of the Committee for the Student exchange program, Second University of Naples,
2003 to date Global Change Biology (Editor; IF: 8.224)
2005 to 2007 Ecology letters (Editor; IF: 13.042)
2005 to date Plant and Soil (Advisory Board of Editors/ Guest Editor of 2 Special Issues; IF: 3.225)
Reviewer – Journals
Nature, PNAS, Oecologia, Ecological Monograph, Ecosystem, Global Biogeochemical Cycle, Biogeosciences, Soil Biology & Biochemistry, New Phytologist, Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, Biology and Fertility of Soils, etc.
Ad hoc Reviewer and Panelist for funding agencies
National Science Foundation (Divisions of Biological Sciences and of Geosciences)
European Research Council
European Science Foundation
National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes (Italy)
Italia/Francia University exchange program
Provincia Autonoma di Trento (Italy)
UK National Environmental Research Council (UK)
Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek – Vlaanderen (Belgium)
2007: Science Steering Group – Registry of Forest C sinks. Italian Ministry of the Environment
2006-2008: Member of the Scientific Advisory board for the WWF, Italy.
2005-2008: Delegate for the Second University of Naples – INNOVA. Regional Center of Competences for the Protection of the Campania Region Cultural and Environmental Heritage
Symposia Workshop and Conference Session Organization
August 2013: The Front Range Stable Isotope Symposium, Fort Collins, Colorado, 16 August, 2013 (Organizer).
May 2013: 4th International Symposium on Soil Organic Matter, Nanjing, China. May 5-10, 2013 (International Scientific Committee Member)
December 2012: Convener of the Session B026. From Plant Litter Decay to Soil Organic Matter Formation: The Missing Nexus, at the AGU Fall Meeting 2012
July 2008: International Symposium on Soil Organic Matter Dynamics: Land Use, Management and Global Change”, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA (member of the Scientific and Organizing committee)
November 2007: Final Conference of the ESF Programme “The Role of Soils in the Terrestrial Carbon Balance”, Pont à mousson, Nacy, France (Convenior of the session on: The impact of environmental factors on the diversity and function of the microbial communities)
February 2007: II Conference of the NITROEUROPE project, Paestum, Italy (Local Organizer, Scientific committee member)
September 2006: XVI National Conference of the Italian Ecological Society (S.It.E.), Viterbo, Italy (Scientific committee member).
May 2006: S.It.E. workshop on: “Teaching Ecology in School”, Rome, Italy (Organizer)
September 2005: XV National Conference of the S.It.E., Turin, Italy (Scientific committee member)
September 2004: JESIUM international symposium, Vienna, Austria (Convenior of the session on: Stable Isotope in the Atmosphere and Biosphere exchange).
October 2004: CARBOEUROPE e COST Action 627 joint international workshop on: Partitioning soil CO2 efflux, Capri Italy (Organizer, Scientific committee board Leader)
June 2003: Workshop of the EU project: “Forest Carbon-Nitrogen Trajectories” (Organizer).
2000: Exibition on “Biodiversity”, Fondazione IDIS, Città della Scienza, Napoli (Scientific advisor)
2000-05 Working Group 1: Plant, Soil and Soil Organisms, COST Action 627: Carbon Storage in European Grasslands, meetings, Dublin (Ireland), Ghent (Belgium), Florence and Capri (Italy), Scientific Committee Leader and Organizer.
September 1998: Global Change in Terrestrial Ecosystems (GCTE)- COST Action 619, joint workshop on: Litter Quality and Decomposition under Elevated Atmospheric CO2 , Capri, Italy (Local organizer, Scientific committee member)
September 1996: VII National meeting of the S.It.E, Naples, Italy (Organiser committee member)
RAI-educational, Guest in the EXPLORA programs on “Millennium Ecosystem Assessment” and “Natural Forests vs Forest Plantations”
RAI-Utile, Guest in the discussion programs on “Environmental Science in the education and public awareness” and “The state of frontier-edge international scientific research in Italy”
North Forty News, March 12, 2012, Cited in “Turmoil over soil: A climate-warming wildcard”
North Forty News, February 7, 2013, Cited in “CSU researchers study black carbon to learn environmental impact of wildfire” – http://www.northfortynews.com/csu-researchers-study-black-carbon-to-learn-environmental-impact-of-wildfires/
InnovatioNews, February 8, 2013, Cited in “CSU researchers get$200k to study environmental impact of wildfire black carbon”- http://innovationews.com/innovation-news-releases/csu-researchers-get-200k-to-study-black-carbons-environmental-impact/
You tube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HahDjm9H0eY&feature=youtu.be
Membership in Professional Societies
American Geophysical Union
American Ecological Society
Soil Ecology Society
Soil Science Society of America
Italian Ecological Society_ S.It.E. (Steering committee member from 2005 to 2008)
British Ecological Society (1994- 2005)
2013: OECD Co-operative Research Program Fellow ($11,000)
2011 to date: Donor award to the “Cotrufo-Hoppess fund for soil ecology research” ($180,000)
2011 to date: Donor award to the “Cotrufo-Hoppess equipment fund for isotopic analyses” ($1000)
2010: NREL Outstanding Advisor
1998: Smithsonian Institution Research Fellow.
1996: EU COST Action 619 Research Fellow.
1995: European Environmental Research Organization Research Fellow.
1995: Wolf Vishniac Award for Excellence, XII International Symposium on Environmental Biogeochemistry, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1994-95: British Council Research Fellow.
2016: Presentation to the Bolder County, entitled: “A possible climate-smart solution to organic waste:
Biochar”. April 12th , 2016.
2015-2016: Development of the “Enrichment Science Program” for Bennett Elementary, Fort Collins.
2014: Lecturer in the Webinar for science teachers: “Biochar for a sustainable future: from the global to the molecular scale”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-jf5T_LH78
2013: Invited Speaker in the event: “Extending Carbon and Water: Taking it to the Next Level”, for K-12 teachers. CSU, February 23rd, 2013
2013: Invited Speaker at the Conference of the Colorado Science Education Network: “Earth, Water, and Fire: Engaging Students in Colorado Issues”. CSU, February 13th, 2013
2012: Proposer and Panellist for the “The Biochar Solution, Facts vs. Fiction”. SoGES Managing the Planet panel series event. Fort Collins, November 14th, 2012.
2012: Lecturer in the “Carbon Station Day”: An hands-on research experience for science students at Fossil
Ridge High School.
2012-2013: Research Experience for Teacher (RET) Advisor of Ms. Kathleen E. Guilbert, a 5th grader science teacher at Bella Romero Elementary (92% minority/low-income population) for the design and delivery of an hands-on research experience on decomposition. This work resulted in Ms Guilbert’s presentation at the AGU and her students presentation at the FRSES.
2011: Lecturer for the Colorado Council for Economic Education, of the course entitled: “the Energy Policies Toward a Better World – the US and EU”, for high-school teachers.
2011-2012: RET Advisor of Mrs Laura Grissom, a science teacher at the Fossil
Ridge High School
2011: Invited Speaker for the “Ground-up 3” event, Poudre Learning Centre, June 7th, 2011
2010-2011: RET Advisor of Ms Jessie Kneisler, an environmental science teacher at a Sherwood High School in Sherwood Oregon.
International Refereed Journals:
- Lavallee, J.M., Conant, R.T., Paul, E.A. and Cotrufo, M.F. (in review). Incorporation of shoot versus root-derived 13C and 15N into mineral-associated organic matter fractions: elucidating mechanisms using a litter-soil slurry incubation. Biogeochemistry
- Harden, J., Hugelius, G., Ahlström, A., Blankinship, J., Bond-Lamberty, B., Lawrence, C., Loisel, J., Malhotra, A., Jackson, R., Ogle, S., Phillips, C., Ryals, R., Todd-Brown, K., Vargas, R., Vergara, S., Cotrufo, M.F., Keiluweit, M., Heckman, K., Crow, S., Silver, W., DeLonge, M., Nave, L. (2017) Networking our science to characterize the state, vulnerabilities, and management opportunities of soil organic matter. Global Change Biology, DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13896
- Ramlow M, and Cotrufo M. F. (2017) Woody biochar’s greenhouse gas mitigation potential across fertilized and non-fertilized agricultural soils, and soil moisture regimes. Global Change Biology Bioenergy. doi: 10.1111/gcbb.12474
- Andres P., Moore, J.C., Cotrufo M.F., Denef, K., Haddix, M.L., Molowny-Horas, R., Riba, M., Wall, D.H, (2017) Grazing and edaphic properties mediate soil biotic response to altered precipitation patterns in a semiarid prairie. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 113: 263-274.
- Chabbi, A., Lehmann, J., Ciais, P. Loescher, H., Cotrufo, M.F., Don, A., SanClements, M., Schipper, L., Six, J., Smith, P. and Rumpel C. (2017) Aligning agriculture and climate policy. Nature Climate Change, 7: 307-309.
- Rhoades, C. Minatre, K., Pierson, D., Fegel, T., Cotrufo, M.F. and Kelly, E. (2017) Examining the Potential of Forest Residue-Based Amendments for Post-Wildfire Rehabilitation in Colorado, USA. Scientifica, org/10.1155/2017/4758316
- Butnor, JR, Samuelson LJ, Johnsen KH, Anderson PH, González Benecke CA, Boot CM, Cotrufo MF, Heckman KA, Jackson JA, Stokes TA, Zarnoch SJ (2017) Vertical distribution and persistence of soil organic carbon in fire-adapted longleaf pine forests. Forestry, Ecology and Management, 390:15-26
- Pressler Y, Foster E. Cotrufo M.F., Moore J. (2017) Coupled biochar amendment and limited irrigation strategies do not affect a degraded soil food web in a maize agroecosystem, compared to the native grassland. Global Change Biology Bioenergy. doi: 10.1111/gcbb.12429
- da Silva Oliveira D.M., Paustian K., Cotrufo M.F., Fiallosa A.R., Cerqueira A.G., Cerri C.E.P. (2017) Assessing labile organic carbon in soils undergoing land use change in Brazil: a comparison of approaches. Ecological Indicators.72:411-419.
- Cotrufo M.F., Boot C., Kampf S., Nelson P., Haddix M.L., Ryan S., Rathburn S., MacDonald L., Brogan D.J., Schmeer S., Covino T. and Hall, E. (2016) Redistribution of pyrogenic carbon from hillslopes to stream sediments following a large montane wildfire. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 30, doi:10.1002/2016GB005467
- Cotrufo M.F., Boot C., Abiven, S., Foster E.J., Haddix M.L., Peisser M., Wurster C.M., Bird M.I., Schmidt M.W.I. (2016) Toward an accurate quantification of pyrogenic carbon in the environment: An integration of analytical approaches. Organic Geochemistry, 100:42-50.
- Foster EJ, Hansen N, Wallenstein M, Cotrufo MF (2016) Biochar and manure amendments impact soil nutrients and microbial enzymatic activities in a semi-arid irrigated maize cropping system. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 233, 404-414.
- Mitchell, E., Scheer, C., Rowlings, D., Conant, R.T., Grace, P., Cotrufo, M.F., Van Delden, L., (2016) The influence of agricultural management strategies on GHG fluxes and stable SOM formation in a sandy soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry.101:104-113
- Campbell, E.E., Parton, W.J., Soong, J.L., Paustian, K., Hobbs, N.T., Cotrufo, M.F. (2016). Tracking the fate of litter carbon using the Litter Decomposition and Leaching (LIDEL) model. Soil, Biology and Biochemistry, 100:160-174.
- Soong J., Dam M., Wall D.H., Cotrufo M. F.(2016) Fire in the tallgrass prairie: belowground biological responses to pyrogenic organic matter inputs and fire history. Journal of Functional Ecology, doi:10.1111/1365-2435.12693
- Jiang X., Haddix M.L., Cotrufo M.F. (2016) Interactions between biochar and soil organic carbon decomposition: Effects of nitrogen and low molecular weight carbon compound addition. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 100:92-101.
- McKee G., Soong J.L., Calderon F., Borch T., Cotrufo M.F. (2016) An integrated spectroscopic and wet chemical approach to investigate grass litter decomposition chemistry. Biogeochemistry, 128:107–123
- Shaw, E.A., K Denef, CM de Tomasel, MF Cotrufo, DH Wall (2016) Fire affects root decomposition, soil food web structure and carbon flow. SOIL, 2, 199-210.
- Andrés, P., Moore J.C., Simpson R.T., Selby G.,Cotrufo, M.F., Denef K., Haddix M.L., Shaw E.A., de Tomasel C.M., Molowny R., Wall D.H., (2016) Soil food web stability in response to grazing in a semi-arid prairie: the importance of soil heterogeneity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 97:131-143
- Bingham D. & Cotrufo, M.F. (2016). Organic nitrogen storage in mineral soil: implication for policy and management. Science of the Total Environment, 551-552:116-126
- Haddix M.H., Paul E., Cotrufo M.F. (2016) Dual, differential isotope labeling shows the preferential movement of labile plant carbon into mineral-bonded soil organic matter. Global Change Biology, 22, 2301–2312
- Soong J., Vandegehuchte M.L., Horton A.J., Nielsen U.N., Denef K, Shaw E. A., Milano de Tomasel C., Parton W., Wall D.H., Cotrufo M. F.(2016) Soil microarthropods support ecosystem productivity and soil C accrual: evidence from a litter decomposition study in the tallgrass prairie. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 92:230-238
- Cotrufo M.F., Soong J.L., Horton A.J., Campbell E.E., Haddix M.H., Wall D.L., Parton W.J. (2015) Soil organic matter formation from biochemical and physical pathways of litter mass loss. Nature Geosciences, doi:10.1038/ngeo2520.
- Jang X., Denef K., Stewart, C.E., Cotrufo M.F. (2015) Controls and dynamics of biochar decomposition and soil microbial abundance, composition, and carbon use efficiency during long-term biochar-amended soil incubations. Biology & Fertility of Soils, DOI 10.1007/s00374-015-1047-7
- Smith P., House J. I., Bustamante M., Sobocka J., Harper R.. ,Pan G., West P., Clark J., Adhya T., Rumpel C., Paustian K., Kuikman P., Cotrufo M.F., Elliott J. A., McDowell R ., Griffiths R.I., Asakawa S., Bondeau A., Jain A. K., Meersmans J., Pugh T.A.M. (2015). Global Change Pressures on Soils from Land Use and Management. Global Change Biology, DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13068.
- Smith,P., F. Cotrufo, C. Rumpel, K. Paustian, P. J. Kuikman, J. A. Elliott, R. McDowell, R. I. Griffiths, S. Asakawa, M. Bustamante, J. I. House, J. Sobocká, R. Harper, G. Pan, P. C. West, J. S. Gerber, J. M. Clark,T. Adhya, R. J. Scholes, and M. C. Scholes (2015) Biogeochemical cycles and biodiversity as key drivers of ecosystem services provided by soils. SOIL, 1, 665–685, 2015
- Martinez C, Alberti G, Cotrufo MF, Magnani F, Zanotelli D, Gianelle D, Camin F, Cescatti A Rodeghiero M (2015). Belowground carbon allocation patterns as determined by the in-growth soil core 13C technique across different ecosystem types. Geoderma, 263:140-150
- Soong JL, Parton W, Calderon FJ, Campbell EE, Cotrufo MF (2015) A new conceptual model on the fate and controls of fresh and pyrolized plant litter decomposition. Biogeochemistry, DOI: 10.1007/s10533-015-0079-2
- Soong JL, Cotrufo MF (2015) Annual burning of a tallgrass prairie inhibits C and N cycling in soil, increasing recalcitrant pyrogenic organic matter storage while reducing N availability. Global Change Biology, 21: 2321-2333.
- Boot C, Haddix M, Paustian K, Cotrufo MF (2015). Distribution of black carbon in Ponderosa pine litter and soils following the High park wildfire. Biogeosciences 12, 3029–3039
- Soong J. L., Calderon F.J., Betzen J. & Cotrufo M.F. (2014) Quantifying and FTIR characterizing dissolved organic carbon and total dissolved nitrogen leaching from litter: a comparison of methods across litter types. Plant and Soil. 385:125-137
- Alberti, G., S. Vicca, I. Inglima, L. Belelli-Marchesini, L. Genesio, F. Miglietta, H. Marjanovic, C. Martinez, G. Matteucci, D’Andrea E, Peressotti, F. Petrella, M. Rodeghiero, M. F. Cotrufo (2014) Soil C:N stoichiometry controls carbon sink partitioning between above-ground tree biomass and soil organic matter in high fertility forests. iForest: doi: 10.3832/ifor1196-008.
- Jandl R., Rodeghiero M., Martinez C., Cotrufo M.F., Bampa F., van Wesemael B., Harrison R.B., Guerrini I.A., deB Richter Jr. D., Rustad L., Lorenz K., Chabbi A., Miglietta F. (2014) Current status, uncertainty and future needs in soil organic carbon monitoring. Journal of the Total Environment, 468–469, 376-383.
- Cotrufo M. F., Soong J., Vandegehuchte M.L., Nguyen T., Denef K, Shaw E. A., Sylvain Z.A., Milano de Tomasel C., Nielsen U.N., Wall D.H. (2014) Naphthalene addition to soil surfaces: an effective method to suppress soil micro-arthropods with negligible direct effects on soil C dynamics. Journal of Applied Soil Ecology, 74:21-24
- Gomez J. D., Denef K., Stewart C. E., Zheng J. & Cotrufo M. F. (2014) Biochar addition rate influences soil microbial abundance and activity in temperate soils. European Journal of Soil Science. 65: 28-39.
- Soong J., Reuss D., Pinney C., Boyack T, Haddix M., Stewart C.E. & Cotrufo M.F. (2014) Design and operation of a continuous 13C and 15N labeling chamber for uniform or differential, metabolic and structural, plant tissue isotope labeling. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 83 | e51117 | Page 1 of 9 http://www.jove.com/video/51117/design-operation-continuous-13c-15n-labeling-chamber-for-uniform-or?access=FP74RB74
- Denef K., Del Galdo I., Venturi A. & Cotrufo M.F. (2013) Soil carbon and nitrogen stocks and distribution across organic matter fractions in European soils under different land use. Open Journal of Soil Science. 3: 297-313.
- Cotrufo M.F., Wallenstein M.D., Boot C., Denef K., Paul E., (2013) The Microbial Efficiency-Matrix Stabilization (MEMS) framework integrates plant litter decomposition with soil organic matter stabilization: Do labile plant inputs form stable soil organic matter? Opinion. Global Change Biology 19:988-995.
- Field J.L., Keske C.M., Birch G., DeFoort M.W., Cotrufo M.F. (2013) Distributed biochar and bioenergy coproduction: a regionally specific case study of environmental benefits and economic impacts. Global Change Biology, Bioenergy. 5: 177-191
- Battipaglia G., Saurer M., Cherubini P., Calfapietra C., McCarthy H.R., Norby R.J., Cotrufo M.F., (2013) Elevated CO2 increases tree-level intrinsic water use efficiency: insights from carbon and oxygen, New Phytologist, 197:544-554.
- Stewart, C.E., Zheng, J., Botte, J.,Cotrufo, M.F. (2013). Biochar co-generated by fast pyrolysis for bio-oil production is a valuable tool to mitigate green-house gas emissions and increase carbon sequestration in temperate soils. Global Change Biology Bioenergy,5: 153-164.
- Zheng, J., Stewart, C.E., Cotrufo, M.F. (2012) Biochar and N fertilizer alters soil N dynamics and greenhouse gas fluxes from two temperate soils. Journal of Environmental Quality, 41:1361-1370.
- Cotrufo F., Alberti G., Inglima I., Marjanović H., LeCain D., Zaldei A., Peressotti A. and Miglietta F. (2011) Decreased summer drought affects plant productivity and soil carbon dynamics in a Mediterranean woodland. Biogeosciences 8:1-11.
- Cotrufo M. F, Conant R.T, Paustian H.E. (2011) Soil Organic Matter Dynamics: Land Use, Management and Climate Change. Plant and Soil, 338: 1-3.
- Cotrufo M. F., Ngao J., Marzaioli F. Piermatteo D. (2010) Inter-comparison of methods for quantifying leaf litter decomposition rates. Plant and Soil, 334:365-376
- Rubino, M., Bertolini, T. De Angelis, P. D’Onofrio, A. Dungait, J.A.J. Evershed, R.P. Lagomarsino, A. Lubritto, C. Merola, A. Terrasi, F., Cotrufo F. (2010) Carbon input belowground is the major C flux contributing to leaf litter mass loss: evidences from a 13C labelled-leaf litter experiment. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 42:1009-1016.
- Battipaglia G., Marzaioli F., Lubritto C., Altieri S., Strumia S., Cherubini P., Cotrufo M.F. (2010) Traffic pollution affects tree-ring width and isotopic composition of Pinus pinea. Science of the Total Environment. 408:586-593
- Marzaioli F., Lubritto C., Del Galdo I., D’Onofrio A., Cotrufo M. F., Terrasi F. (2010) Comparison of different soil organic matter fractionation methodologies: Evidences from ultrasensitive 14C measurements. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B. 7:1062-1066.
- Castaldi S, Canfora A, Fiorentino A, Natale A, Messere A, Miglietta F, Cotrufo M.F. (2009) Inhibition of nitrification activity in a Mediterranean woodland: possible role of chemicals produced by Arbutus unedo. Plant and Soil, 315:273-283.
- Battipaglia G., Saurer M., Cherubini P., Siegwolf R.T.W., Cotrufo M. F. (2009) Tree rings indicate different drought resistance of a native (Abies alba) and a nonnative (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) species co-occurring at a dry site in Southern Italy. Forest Ecology and Management 257:820-828
- Inglima I., Alberti G., Bertolini T., Vaccari F.P., Gioli B., Miglietta F., Cotrufo M.F., Peressotti A (2009) Precipitation pulses enhance respiration of Mediterranean ecosystems: the balance between organic and inorganic components of increased soil CO2 efflux, Global Change Biology, 15:1289-1301
- Rubino M., Lubritto C., D’Onofrio A., Terrasi F., Kramer C., Gleixner G., Cotrufo M.F. (2009) Isotopic evidences for microbiologically mediated and direct C input to soil compounds from three different leaf litters during their decomposition. Environmental Chemistry Letter, 7:85-95
- Lukac M, Lagomarsino A, Moscatelli MA, De Angelis P, Cotrufo MF and Godbold DL (2008) Forest soil C storage under elevated CO2 – a case of increased throughput? Forestry, doi:10.1093/forestry/cpn041
- Battipaglia G, Jäggi M, Saurer M, Siegwolf R.T.W., Cotrufo F. (2008) Climatic sensitivity of d18O in the wood and cellulose of tree rings: Results from a mixed stand of Acer pseudoplatanus L. and Fagus sylvatica L. Palaeo, 261:193-202.
- Sutton M.A., E. Nemitz, J.W. Erisman, C. Beier, K. Butterbach Bahl, P. Cellier, W. de Vries, Cotrufo, U. Skiba, C. Di Marco, S. Jones, P. Laville, J.F. Soussana, B. Loubet, M. Twigg, D. Famulari, J. Whitehead, M.W. Gallagher, A. Neftel, C.R. Flechard, B. Herrmann, P.L. Calanca, J.K. Schjoerring, U. Daemmgen, L. Horvath, Y.S. Tang, B.A. Emmett, A. Tietema, J. Pe~nuelas, M. Kesik, N. Brueggemann, K. Pilegaard, T. Vesala, C.L. Campbell, J.E. Olesen, U. Dragosits, M.R. Theobald, P. Levy, D.C. Mobbs, R. Milne, N. Viovy, N. Vuichard, J.U. Smith, P. Smith, P. Bergamaschi, D. Fowler, S. Reis (2007) Challanges in quantifying biosphere-atmosphere exchange of nitrogen species. Environmental Pollution: 150, 125-139
- Rubino M., Lubritto C., D’Onofrio A., Terrasi F., Gleixner G., Cotrufo M.F. (2007) An isotopic method for testing the influence of leaf litter quality of C fluxes during decomposition. Oecologia, 154: 155-166
- Battipaglia G, Cherubini P, Saurer M, Siegwolf R.T.W., Strumia S., Cotrufo F. (2007) Volcanic explosive eruptions of the Vesuvio decrease tree-ring growth but not photosynthesis rates in the surrounding forests Global Change Biology: 13, 1122-1137
- Calfapietra C., De Angelis P., Gielen B., Lukac M, Moscattelli M.C., Avino G., Lagomarsino A., Polla A., Ceulemans R., Scarascia-Mugnozza G., Hoosbeck M.R., Cotrufo M.F. (2007) Nitrogen use efficiency of a short-rotation poplar plantation is increased under elevated CO2. Tree Physiology
- Riitta Hyvönen., Göran I. Ågren, Sune Linder, Tryggve Persson, Francesca Cotrufo, Alf Ekblad, Michael Freeman, Achim Grelle, Ivan A. Janssens, Paul G. Jarvis , Seppo Kellomäki, Anders Lindroth, Denis Loustau, Tomas Lundmark, Richard J. Norby, Ram Oren, Kim Pilegaard, Michael G. Ryan, Bjarni D. Sigurdsson, Monika Strömgren, Marcel van Oijen and Göran Wallin (2007) The likely impact of elevated [CO2], nitrogen deposition, increased temperature, and management on carbon sequestration in temperate and boreal forest ecosystems. A literature review. The New Phytologist – Tansley Review: 173, 463-480
- Del Galdo I, WC Oechel and MF Cotrufo (2006) Past, present and future atmospheric CO2 concentrations effects on soil organic matter dynamics in a chaparral ecosystem. Soil Biology Biochemistry, 38: 3235-3244
- Subke J.A., Inglima I, Cotrufo M. (2006) Trends and methodological impacts in soil CO2 efflux partitioning: a meta-analytical review. Global Change Biology. 12: 921-943
- Bertolini T, I. Inglima, Rubino, F. Marzaioli, C. Lubritto, J.A. Subke, A. Peressotti, M.F. Cotrufo (2006) Sampling soil derived CO2 at ambient CO2 concentration for analysis of isotopic composition. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies: 42:57-65.
- Cotrufo MF (2006) Quantity of standing litter: a driving factor of root dynamics. Plant and Soil. 281:1-3
- Godbold DL, M.R. Hoosbeek, M.Lukac, F. Cotrufo, I. A. Janssens, R.Ceulemans, A. Polle, E.J. Velthorst, G. Scarascia-Mugnozza, P. De Angelis, F. Miglietta, A. Peressotti (2006) Mycorrhizal hyphal turnover is the dominant carbon input to soil. Plant and Soil, 281:15-24.
- Marzaioli F., Lubritto C., Battipaglia G., Passariello I., Rubino M., Rogalla D., Strumia S., Miglietta F., D’Onofrio A., Cotrufo M.F., Terrasi F.(2005) Reconstruction of past CO2 concentration in a natural enriched site using radiocarbon dating. Radiocarbon, 47:257-263
- Gielen B, C Calfapietra, M Lukac, VE Wittig, P De Angelis, IA Janssens, MC Moscatelli, S Grego, MF Cotrufo, DL Godbold, MR Hoosbeek, SP Long, F Miglietta, A Polle, CJ Bernacchi, PA Davey, R Ceulemans, GE Scarascia-Mugnozza (2005) Net carbon storage in a poplar plantation (POPFACE) after three years of free-air CO2 Tree Physiology. 25:1399-1408
- Cotrufo M.F., Drake B., Ehleringer JE (2005) Palatability trials on hardwood leaf litter grown under elevated CO2: a stable carbon isotope study. Soil, Biology & Biochemistry 37:1105-1112
- Cotrufo M.F., De Angelis P. and Polle A. (2005) Leaf litter production and decomposition in a poplar short rotation coppice exposed to free air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE). Global Change Biology 11: 1-12
- Subke JA, Hahn V, Battipaglia G, Linder S, Buchmann N, Cotrufo MF (2004) Feed-back interactions between needle litter decomposition and rhizosphere activity. Oecologia, 139:551-559
- Subke JA, Inglima I, Peressotti A, Delle Vedeve G, Cotrufo MF (2004) A new technique to measure soil CO2 efflux at constant CO2 concentration Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 36:1013-1015
- Hoosbeek M., Lukac M, van Dam D, Godbold DL, Velthorst EJ, Biondi FA, Peressotti A, Cotrufo M.F., De Andelis P., Scarascia-Mugnozza G. (2004) More new carbon in the mineral soil of a poplar plantation under Free Air Carbon Enrichment: Cause of increased priming effect? Global Biogeochemical Cycle, 18, GB1040 (1-7).
- Gianfrani L., Rocco A., Battipaglia, A. Castrillo, G. Gagliardi, A. Peressotti, M.F. Cotrufo, and (2004) Assessing soil respiration by means of near-infrared diode laser spectroscopy. Applied spectroscopy, 58 (9):1051-1056.
- Cotrufo MF, Delle Vedeve G., Subke JA, Inglima I, Alberti G, Peressotti A (2004) Litter decomposition and soil CO2 efflux on the Mediterranean island of Pianosa. Journal of Mediterranean Ecology 5: 23-29
- Baraldi R., Vaccari F.P., Colom R.P. Cotrufo M.F., D’Acqui L.P (2004). The Pianosa-Lab project: an integrated research project to measure the carbon bilance of the Pianosa island. Journal of Mediterranean Ecology 5: 5-13
- Del Galdo , Six J., Peressotti A., Cotrufo MF (2003) Assessing the impact of land use change on soil C sequestration in agricultural soils by means of organic matter fractionation and stable C isotopes. Global Change Biology, 9:1204-1213
- Calabritto F., Del Galdo I., De Angelis P., Ball A., Coppola E., Strumia S., Cotrufo M. F. (2002) Long-term responses to elevated CO2 of the soil environment in a Mediterranean Macchia ecosystem. Journal of Mediterranean Ecology. 3:23-27
- Sabbarese C., Stellato L., Cotrufo M.F., D’Onofrio A., Ermice A., Terrasi F., Alfieri S.. (2002). Transfer of 137Cs and 60Co from irrigation water to a soil-tomato plant system.Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 61:21-31
- Sabbarese C., Stellato L., Cotrufo M.F., D’Onofrio A., Ermice A., Lubritto C., Terrasi F., Alfieri S., Migliore G. (2002).Dependence of radionuclide transfer factor on plant growth stage. Environmental Modelling and Software, 17:545-551
- Norby R.J., Cotrufo M., Ineson P, O’Neill E.G. Canadell J.G. (2001) Elevated CO2, litter quality and decomposition: A synthesis. Oecologia. 127: 153-165
- Restieri R., Gagliardi G, De Biasio G., Cotrufo M.F., Gianfrani L (2001) High precision measurements of CO2 concentration in air by means of diode-laser absorption spectroscopy near 2 μm. In: Water, Ground and Air Pollution Monitoring and Remediation. Eds T. Vo-Dinh, R.L. Spellicy. Proc. SPIE Vol.4199:124-129.
- Gagliardi G., Restieri R., De Biasio G., De Natale P., Cotrufo M.F., and Gianfrani L. (2001) Quantitative diode laser absorption spectroscopy near 2 µm with high precision measurements of CO2 Review of Scientific Instruments, 72: 4228-4233
- Cotrufo F. and Ineson I. (2000) Does elevated CO2 affect wood decomposition? Plant and Soil. 224:51-57.
- Gorissen A. and Cotrufo M.F. (2000) Decomposition of leaf and root tissue of three perennial grass species grown at two levels of atmospheric CO2 and N supply. Plant and Soil. 224: 75-84.
- Cotrufo M.F., Raschi A., Lanini M. and Ineson P. (1999) Decomposition and nutrient dynamics of Quercus pubescens leaf litter in a naturally enriched CO2 Mediterranean ecosystem. Functional Ecology, 13: 343-351.
- Gorissen A. and Cotrufo M.F. (1999) Elevated CO2 and nitrogen dynamics in grasses with emphasis on rhizosphere processes. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 63:1695-1702
- Cotrufo M.F. , Ineson P., Scott A (1998) Elevated CO2 reduces the nitrogen concentration of plant tissues. Global Change Biology, 4:43-54
- Cotrufo M.F., Briones M.J.I. and Ineson P. (1998) Elevated CO2 affects field decomposition rate and palatability of tree leaf litter: importance of changes in substrate quality. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 30:1565-1571
- Cotrufo M.F., Berg B. and Kratz. W (1998) Increased atmospheric CO2 and litter quality. Environmental Reviews, 6:1-12
- Norby R. and Cotrufo M.F. (1998) Global Change: A question of litter quality. Nature 396:17-18
- Cotrufo M.F. and Gorissen A. (1997) Elevated CO2 enhances below-ground C allocation in three perennial grass species at different levels N availability. The New Phytologist, 137:421-431.
- Cotrufo M.F. and Ineson P. (1996) Elevated CO2 reduces field decomposition rates of Betula pendula leaf litter. Oecologia, 106 :525-530.
- Ineson P., Cotrufo M.F. Bol R., Harkness D.D and Blum H. (1996) Quantification of soil C input under elevated CO2: C3 plants in a C4 Plant and Soil , 187 :345-350.
- Cotrufo M.F. and Ineson P. (1995). Effects of enanched atmospheric CO2 and nutrient status on the decomposition of fine roots of Betula pendula and Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr. Plant and Soil,170:267-277.
- Cotrufo M.F., Virzo De Santo A., Alfani A., Bartoli G. and De Cristoforo A. (1995). Effects of urban heavy metal pollution on organic matter decomposition in Quercus ilex Environmental Pollution, 89:81-87.
- Cotrufo M.F., Ineson P. and Roberts J.D. (1995). Decomposition of birch leaf litters with varying C-to-N ratios. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 27:1219-1221
- Cotrufo M.F., Ineson P. and Rowland A.P. (1994). Decomposition of tree leaf litters grown under elevated CO2 : effect of litter quality. Plant and Soil. 163:121-130.
Book chapters, proceedings and extension articles:
Cotrufo M.F. & Kuikman, P. 2015. Chapter.2.2: Soils and the Nutrient Cycle. In: Status of the World’s Soil Resource Report. Intergovernmental Technical Panel on Soils. Pp, 39-42. FAO, Rome.
Ramlow, M., Keske, C.M.H., & Cotrufo, M.F. 2015 Biochar in Colorado. Colorado State University Agricultural Extension Bulletin – Fact Sheet No. 0.509
Cotrufo M.F. (2014) Global Change and Terrestrial Ecosystems, Introduction. In: Freedman B. (Ed.) Global Environmental Change.Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp291-296
Keske, C.M.H, Lohman Birch, G. and Cotrufo, M.F. 2012. Biochar in Colorado. Colorado State University Agricultural Extension Bulletin 2012-0309.
Cotrufo MF, Del Galdo I, Piermatteo D (2009) Litter decomposition: concepts, methods and future perspectives In: Integrated Methodology on soil carbon flux measurements” (Eds. W. Krutz, M. Bahn, A. Heinemeyr) Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK. Pp 76-90.
Scarascia-Mugnozza G., Calfapietra C., Ceulemans R., Gielen B., Cotrufo M.F., DeAngelis P., Godbold D., Hoosbeek M.R., Kull O., Lukac M., Marek M., Miglietta F., Polle A., Raines C., Sabatti M., Anselmi N., Taylor G. (2006) Responses to elevated CO2 of a short rotation, multispecies poplar plantation. In: Managed Ecosystems and CO2: Case Studies, Processes and Perspectives (Ed. S.Long, G. Hendrey, R. Norby, M. Stitt, H.Blum, J. Noesberger). Series of Ecological Studies, Springer- Verlag, Berlin.Vol. 187
Vaccari FP, Miglietta F, Rossi F, Zerbi G, Peressotti A, Cotrufo MF, Georgiadis T, Magliulo V (2004) Pianosa-Lab: a research and monitoring project in a Mediterranean ecosystem. Global Challenges of Parks and Protected Area Management. Proceedings of the 9th ISSRM. Eds Camarda I, Manfredo MJ, Mulas F & Teel TL. Carlo Delfino, Sassari, Italy
Cotrufo M.F. , Miller M. and Zeller B. (2000) Litter decomposition. In: Carbon and Nitrogen Cycling in European Forest Ecosystems. Ed. E. D. Schulze. pp. 276-296. Series in Ecology Book Vol. 142, Springer-Verlag, Berlino.
Ineson P., Cotrufo M.F. (1996) Increasing concentrations of atmospheric CO2 and decomposition processes in forest ecosystems. In: Plant Responses to Elevated CO2: Evidence from Natural Springs. Eds. A. Raschi, F. Miglietta, R. Tognetti and P.R. Van Gardingen. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. Pp. 242-267.
“Global Change and Terrestrial Ecosystems” section In: Freedman B. (Ed.) Global Environmental Change: SpringerReference (www.springerreference.com). Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 0. DOI: 10.1007/SpringerReference
Plant and Soil, Vol.338 Special Issue on “SOM dynamics: Land Use, Management and Global Change”
Global Change Biology Vol. 12 Thematic session on “Soil CO2 efflux partitioning”
Plant and Soil. Vol. 224, Special Issue on: “Litter quality and decomposition under elevated atmospheric CO2”.
Journal of Mediterranean Ecology Vol. 5, Special Issue on “PianosaLab research project”
Enciclopedia della Scienza, Rizzoli New Media, author of contribution on: “La Biosfera ed i cicli degli elementi (The Biosphere and the biogeochemical cycles”.
Enciclopedia del XXI secolo, Istituto dell’Enciclopedia Italiana Treccani, author of contribution on “Biosfera”
Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, EOLSS Publishers Co Ltd, for UNESCO, author of contribution on: “What is Global Change?”
Invited presentations at scientific conferences:
Cotrufo M.F. (2017) Toward a new modelling paradigm: from turnover-defined to physically-defined soil organic matter pools. Key note speaker for the 6th International SOM Conference, Rothamsted (UK), September 2017.
Cotrufo M.F. (2015) Soil organic matter formation from litter decomposition: A call for modeling of both DOM and POM pathways. 5th International SOM Conference, Gottingen (D), September 2015.
Cotrufo M.F., Fulton-Smith S., Haddix M., A.J. Horton, Soong J. (2014) Recalcitrance: an inherent relative attribute of plant litter describing its potential decomposability. AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco 15-19 December, 2014
Cotrufo MF, J.L. Soong, A.J. Horton, E.E. Campbell and W.J. Parton (2014) Above-ground litter-derived C and N stabilization in SOM: the key role of dissolved organic matter leaching and litter fragmentation. AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco 15-19 December, 2014
Cotrufo M.F. (2013) From Litter decomposition to SOM Formation: What are we missing? ASA-CSSA-SSSA annual meeting, Tampa 3-8 November, 2013.
Cotrufo M.F. From Litter decomposition to soil organic matter formation: through the eyes of isotopes. Front Range Isotope Day. Laramie, Wyoming. August 2012
Cotrufo M.F. Advancing the understanding of plant-soil atmosphere C and N exchanges by stable isotope techniques. Isotope Mass Spectrometry Meeting. Trento, Italy April 2012
Cotrufo M.F. Detecting Changes in Soil Carbon. G-Scan meeting. Florence, April 2011
Cotrufo M.F. Above-ground litter decomposition experiments: moving beyond mass loss. AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco 13-17 December, 2010
Cotrufo M.F. Detecting Changes in soil C pools and dynamics by means of stable isotopes and SOM fractionation. III CARBOEUROPE conference, Finland, November 2005
Cotrufo M.F Understanding and quantifying soil C dynamics: when experiments meet models. ESF-COST627-SSSB Workshop on “Soil C Modelling”, 10-13 April 2005 Aberdeen
Cotrufo M.F, Bertolini T.; Inglima I.; Rubino M.; Marzaioli F.; Lubritto C.; Subke J.A.; Peressotti A. Determination of d13CO2 efflux: are we measuring the real thing? CARBOEUROPE-COST 627 Joint workshop on “Soil CO2 efflux partitioning”. 1-4 October 2004, Capri, Italy
Cotrufo M.F: “Carbon isotope methodologies: a breakthrough in the study of soil C dynamics”, SIRIS 2004, 6-8 October 2004, Wien, Austria
Cotrufo M.F. Decomposition processes in soils of FACE ecosystems, FACE 2004 Ascona, Switzerland
Cotrufo M.F. Plant, soil and atmospheric interactions in a changing environment. 46th IAVS Symposium: “Water resources and vegetation”, 14-16 June 2003, Naples, Italy
Cotrufo M.F. C-N interaction in litter decay. Second CARBOEUROPE meeting, Budapest Hungary, 4-8 March 2002.
Cotrufo M.F., Peressotti A, Del Galdo I., Six J., Impact of land use on soil organic C stores and aggregation of soil organic matter fractions, COST Action 627 meeting, Ghent, Belgium, 22-24 November, 2001.
Cotrufo M.F.: Soils under elevated CO2: what is going on below ground? COST Action 619, Ballyvaughan, Ireland, 5-9 June 1997.
Cotrufo M.F. Gorissen A.: Carbon allocation in plant/soil systems of three perennial grass species as affected by elevated CO2 concentrations and N fertilization. COST Action 619, Colchester, UK, 22-24 November 1996.
Cotrufo M.F., Gorissen A: Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 and N availability on C and N cycling in plant/soil systems. COST Action 619, Clearmont-Ferrand, France, 23-25 November 1995.