MSP- USDA Fellowship in Microbiome Science
USDA Fellowship in Microbiome Science
The Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory (NREL) and CSU Microbiome Network seek applicants to apply for the US Department of Agricultural (USDA) Multicultural Scholar’s Program (MSP) fellowship. Applicants should be highly motivated and desire to pursue a career, or have interest in: human, animal, agricultural, plant and soil biology, or environmental systems.
The program will provide fellowships of $6,500 per year (for up to four years) for students from first-generation and/or low-income backgrounds from under-represented populations in food, agriculture, and human sciences. Students must be declared majors in one of seven CSU microbiome-affiliated majors: in Animal Science, Biomedical Sciences, Ecosystem Science and Sustainability, Environmental Health, Microbiology, Soil and Crop Science, and Watershed Science.
Only individuals who meet the criteria listed below may apply for consideration to be awarded a fellowship:
1. Be declared in one of seven microbiome-affiliated majors: in Animal Science, Biomedical Sciences, Ecosystem Science and Sustainability, Environmental Health, Microbiology, Soil and Crop Science, and Watershed Science;
2. Identify as first-generation or low-income from under-represented populations in food, agriculture, and human sciences;
3. Be citizens, national, or permanent residents of the United States as determined in accordance with Federal law;
4. Be enrolled as a full-time student, taking at least 12-credits/semester at CSU;
5. Have a 3.0+ cumulative CSU GPA or, if admitted to CSU in Spring 2023, must have a 3.0+ cumulative High School or transfer GPA.
6. Not have been previously earned a baccalaureate degree; and
7. Have a strong interest, as judged by the institution, in pursuing a career as a food or agricultural scientist or professional.
USDA FELLOWSHIP IN MICROBIOME SCIENCE APPLICATION PACKAGE – DUE BY OCTOBER 15, 2023:
If you meet the criteria noted above, complete an application package, as described below:
1. Fill out the application.
2. Upload both a letter of recommendation and personal essay. Upload documents here.
3. All three documents must be submitted by the Sunday, October 15, 2023, due date.