NREL/ESS Helpdesk - New Employee
This page has information on for New Employees, Students, and Faculty.
Welcome to Colorado State University. When you are hired at CSU you will be given several different credentials, and identifiers. Once your paper work has been approved you will be able to create your CSU eID login name and account. The paperwork is processed through CSU’s HR department in association with our local HR coordinator, Jessica Hunter. Please note that you will not access to University resources until this process has been completed. If you are a returning employee or student please note that you will receive the same CSUID number and eID (or eName). Please see the Accounts & Access section of the this helpdesk site for more information about your account.
– New Computer Hardware: Please consult your local IT staff for any computer purchasing recommendations. In general, the person hiring you will let know what they have in mind for your computer system.
– Windows computers: The University has a contact to purchase HP computers (these are business class line of HP computers) from CDW. All new Windows computer need to have Windows 10 Pro (not home edition). These purchase are done online though CSU’s Kuali catalog, and these prices will differ from online sources. We also get request to purchase cheaper systems or people find different prices. Remember that the systems available to us are business class with a three year warranty. We see few issues with these type of computers rather than the consumer models. Exceptions can be made but need more for technical capacity rather than on price alone (In general exceptions are not made for standard computer purchases).
– Apple computers: All Apple systems are purchased through RamTech. They keep some systems in stock and are generally 10% less than the Apple website price. All new Mac laptops typically require the purchase of an additional dongle(s) for video or network support, and we recommend upgrading your Mac warranty to at least 3 years.
– Other Computers: Also exceptions are generally approve all Microsoft Surface computer purchases as well.
– Software: Except for the Microsoft suite most other will need to be purchased. Check with your supervisor about funding
– The University has a site wide Microsoft Office 365 license. This includes Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams…. etc. (use your_csu_eID@colostate.edu for any credentials for Microsoft)
– You can also download version of the Office suite for home usage. http://help.mail.colostate.edu/officesubscription.aspx
– Many other software packages are available though RamTech, CSU’s technology store. Most popular are ESRI ARC, Adobe products, statistical software. There are personal purchases as well, department purchases.
– Other software is available though the vendors websites. Look for Educational discounts.