NREL/ESS Helpdesk - Hardware & Software
This page has information on Hardware and Software purchases.
In general, the person hiring you will let know what they have in mind for your computer system (they may have an existing system or budget for a new system) and talk to them about other software purchases as well. All purchases require pre-approval before being made, See the WCNR Purchase Request form on the following page https://intranet.warnercnr.colostate.edu/cnrbo/purchasing.cfm All request will need a justification. A justification is how this purchase benefits the project being charged, not how it is used. (Good justification: GIS software will be used for the analysis of bird habitat changes in the Upper Basin of Colorado) Once approved make your purchase and then, if your purchase is not made through the Kuali system, you will need to send the accounting staff your receipt. Send it to email@example.com.
– New Computer Hardware: Please consult your local IT staff for any computer purchasing recommendations. The University has a state contract for HP and Apple for computers. Per the agreement between CSU and Hewlett ‐ Packard, all campus departments are required to purchase their PC ‐ based computers through the HP vendor CDW, excluding computers manufactured by Apple, Inc. When cases arise where HP computes can not meet the required needs the purchaser will be required to request and get approval for the exception.
– Windows computers: Our contract vendor for HP systems is with CDW. You can find their online catalog on CSU’s Kuali system. Note these prices will be different than prices that you see from CDW’s or HP’s public websites. All new Windows computers need to have Windows 10 Pro (not home edition), and systems purchased through Kuali will have a three-year warranty. We also contact CDW’s account managers (their information is found on the CDW Kuali page) to get specific configuration quotes.
– Apple computers: All Apple systems are purchased through RamTech. They keep some systems in stock and are generally 10% less than the Apple website price. All new Mac laptops typically require the purchase of an additional dongle(s) for video or network support, and we recommend upgrading your Mac warranty to at least 3 years.
– Other Computers: Also exceptions are generally approved all Microsoft Surface computer purchases as well.
– Computers purchase waivers: For your research, you might also need a specialized system or a computer with a specific configuration. IT staff can help you get approval to purchase these systems as well, with a Computer Waiver Exception. Systems with specific configuration requirements, not met by HP systems, are generally approved. We also get requests to purchase cheaper systems or people find different prices for systems at other online retailers. Remember that besides special pricing, systems purchase through the contact, are business-class systems that include a three-year warranty. We see fewer issues with these types of computers rather than the consumer models. If you are not finding what you need or have questions please contact the IT staff.
– Software: Except for the Microsoft suite most other will need to be purchased. Check with your supervisor about funding
– The University has a site-wide Microsoft Office 365 license. This includes Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams…. etc. (use your_csu_eID@colostate.edu for any credentials for Microsoft)
– You can also download a version of the Office suite for home-usage. http://help.mail.colostate.edu/officesubscription.aspx
– Many other software packages are available through RamTech, CSU’s technology store. Most popular are ESRI ARC, Adobe products, statistical software. There are personal purchases as well, department purchases.
– Other software is available through the vendors websites. Look for Educational discounts.